Thursday, 5 December 2013

Zenola!

When I sat 100 Days on the Mountain, I cached about a hundred pounds of a cereal I'd invented for the purpose, a mixture of rolled oats, dehydrated milk, dried fruit, and nuts. A splash of cold water, and it provided both bulk and balanced nutrition. It also tasted good, which is an important nutrient for the morale. I called this fall-back manna "zenola".

As weeks went by and bowls disappeared, it occurred to me that a more clever man than I might have converted this stuff into cash. Hence the above advertisement, scratched into the daily log. Top to bottom and left to right, it reads:

"Z E N O L A !"
"Part of this complete enlightenment!"
"Bashôo says... 'If you have no Zenola, I will take it from you!'"
"... another fine product from Hungry Ghost!"

The trademark of this Buddhist-friendly food company is a ghost with a napkin tied around its neck, holding a spoon and, uh... spork, apparently. Corporate slogan: "No matter how much you get, it's never enough!"

I'm sitting on a gold mine here. Dealership enquiries welcome.


(Adapted from 100 Days on the Mountain, copyright RK Henderson.)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...