Thursday 13 August 2020

Change

Unnecessarily complicated gears a
… is something I don't like.

Yeah, I know; Zen is all about acceptance of the immutable, ubiquitous, unresting nature of the universe, and everything in it.

Adopt any religious stance you wish. Invent convoluted ideologies; offer university degrees in them. Devote your life to denial.

But immutable, ubiquitous, unresting change is the literal substance of the universe.

I've needed to migrate this blog to a new host for years now. Blogger was arguably never the best platform for it, and since 2011 the interface has slowly deteriorated to a point where basic functions (comments, search-engine accessibility, mobile compatibility, several others) are sub-par.

As readers have signalled problems, I've assured them that I'm looking into moving. It's just that learning a new platform is long and annoying, costing a fortune in time and frustration, futzing to accomplish basic layout tasks, leaving and revisiting messages on help fora, emailing one's data-engineer brother for yet another pro bono debugging session.

None of which holds my interest. I'm a writer. I don't want to be a code monkey, a salesman, a celebrity, or anything other than a monk who writes on a wall.

But to do that in this new world, you first have to build the wall. Paint the wall. Maintain the wall. Rebuild the wall. Repaint the wall…

And now Blogger have upgraded the wall.

And you know what the word "upgrade" means in digital commerce.

So it's time to move.

The next weeks may be a bit spare in terms of content here, but I expect to be scrawling on a new and better wall when I reach the other side.

One that resolves many of the problems you have with this one.

(Deep bow of gratitude for the patience, forbearance, and loyalty readers have shown through the years.)

The backlog will remain available here on Blogger for as long as they'll have it. (Indefinitely, in theory.) I'd like to migrate that content to the new site as well – another giant headache, when even possible – but one way or the other, I expect to keep the past 9 years of ruminations accessible, to whatever end fellow sojourners may put them.

I'm particularly chagrined at the thought of losing long-time followers, some of whom may only swing by once in a while, but all of whom are deeply appreciated. Churn of that sort is unfortunately the nature of online publishing, but in all candour, assurances that the hot new platform will more than make up for the statistical loss with new readers, are cold comfort.

Make new friends, but keep the old
One is silver and the other gold


And my readers aren't numbers.

So please be advised that Rusty Ring will soon have a new URL. And I look forward to seeing you there, fit and rested from the break.

(Graphic courtesy of Wikimedia Commons and a generous creator.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment