Wednesday 24 February 2021

WW: Walking stick


(I've posted about my monk stick before, but there's no denying it has a very "rural" vibe. Ideal for forest and field, but rather too "Lord of the Rings" for road and town. That needs something shorter, and probably without a berry hook.

Hence the above. It's about sternum-height and is made from a nice piece of evergreen huckleberry [Vaccinium ovatum]. Though somewhat heavy for a walking stick, it's a hard, fine-grained wood, resistant to abuse, and oiling to a satiny deep gold lustre. A brass pipe cap - invisible under the snow - serves as a ferrule.

I've gotten used to the heft of the thing, and received some nice comments.)

Appearing also on My Corner of the World.

3 comments:

  1. That is one fabulous walking stick! Sternum high is just about right for the trails around the mountain village we live in! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's the perfect height for serious walking. Definitely fills the need for me.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My other comment belonged on this post, but it's still a nice finished project!

    Your link is a great addition to 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete