Thursday 14 April 2022

Hugest Buddhist


I'm told this is a fad in China now. That first glance is a bit revolting to round-eyed sangha, but as I understand it, this desktop-sized sculpture sends folks into uncontrollable fits of laughter in the Middle Kingdom.

What's the matter, don't get it?

Well, according to the Internet, when this lump of topical kitsch heaves into Chinese view, the observer immediately hears a voice say, "I'm the best Buddhist, simply the best Buddhist. Everybody says so. I'm like the Buddha of Buddhism. I know everything about Buddhism. I'm totally enlightened. Always have been. Ask anybody. You want Buddhism, you need me. Because nobody else has any. It's all me. I'm the hugest Buddhist. Simply the hugest."

In other words, this is a statue of my ego.

Strange; doesn't look a bit like me.

(Photo of unknown provenance.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment