Thursday 1 September 2022

Zen Centre Koan

Transparent wings moth on light cover A moth walks into a podiatrist's office and sits down. "Doctor," he says, "my life is a mess."

"After twenty years of faithful service to my company, they laid me off.

"My brother, the only other surviving member of my family, was given three months to live.

"I'm feeling more and more irrelevant every day, as if no-one needs or wants me. My whole life has been a complete waste. I've accomplished nothing of note, even by my own account.

"And today my wife, the only reason I got up and went to that dead-end job every day, announces she's leaving because I'm too depressed."

"That's terrible!" says the doctor. "But why have you come to me with this? I'm a podiatrist."

"Oh," says the moth, "I just came in here because the light was on."


Wu Ya's commentary: "Mind the gap."

(Photo courtesy of E. Jones and Wikimedia Commons.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment