Wednesday 14 December 2022

WW: Disciplinary petting



(I've been taking care of this kitty, and photographing her, for ten years. [First Rusty Ring appearance here.] She's always been headstrong, unwilling to follow rules, primary of which is to stay off the kitchen counter.

So from the beginning, each time she's turned up on the forbidden surface, I've imposed "disciplinary petting", that is, picking her up and cradling her upside down in my arms like a baby while petting and scolding her. Since there's nothing less acceptable to her than confinement, especially with her paws in the air and eyes turned toward the ceiling, being loved and caressed in this fashion amounts to a portable timeout that she instantly resents in the most strenuous terms.

Or she did. Now a decade later she's well into her golden years – so to speak – and as is often the case, has become notably more demonstrative in the affection and physical contact departments. To be precise, she's constantly after me to pick her up and hold her. All day, if she can get it.

If that were all, I could put it down to typical feline old age. Unfortunately, it often develops that simply being held does not in itself suffice. After several minutes in my arms she begins to twist her neck and lay her face flat against my sleeve, as if trying to roll over. This she couldn't actually do without falling, so I've learned to take the hint and turn her over myself.

Like a baby.

So it seems my brilliant disciplinary programme has backfired. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if all these years the whole counter schtick wasn't just a scheme to get punished again.
)

Appearing also on My Corner of the World.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, your ruminations make me smile ... who knows what she is up to - it would be so practical if animals could talk in human language:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last paragraph made me laugh. I'm a little different from you with the kitchen counter. If I'm not cooking, the cats are welcome to it. My two cats now, adopted me as adults while they were still wild. Over the years they have become very sweet as they have aged. One is a lap cat when he feels like it, and the other loves to get on the back of my chair and head butt and drool on me while I pet her. cheeks and neck. Mine have all mellowed in old age, and accepted cuddles better. I'm glad you have meditation time with your cat. It's the best there is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no doubt that having a kitty around improves life on several levels. As for meditation, they often straight-up meditate with me, on the cushion. Something about sitting meditation draws them.

    ReplyDelete