Wednesday 9 June 2021

WW: Memorial

(This rhododendron grows just outside my mother's kitchen window. Since she moved here 6 years ago it has never bloomed – a fact she drew to my attention just last year.

But this spring it brought on four small white blossoms [one of them out of frame]. Rhododendrons grow riotously on the North Coast, and there are a great many of every colour in this neighbourhood, including the stunning pink native ones. But white heads are rarest. Especially such delicate ones.

As you can tell by its sallow leaves this plant isn't happy, which is undoubtedly why it hasn't bloomed before. I don't know what's bothering it – several other rhododendrons in the immediate vicinity are doing great – but when the bloom falls I'll feed it and see if that helps.

As my mom died three months ago, I'm especially drawn to these timid white blossoms – the colour of mourning in Japan.)


Appearing also on My Corner of the World.

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. The rhododendron blooming now is so bitter sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so sad that she didn't get to see it bloom. I do hope you can help it to bloom more next year.

    I'm happy you chose to share your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the plant made a tribute to her. I hope you're doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm getting along, Scott. Same to you, old friend.

    ReplyDelete