Wednesday 7 June 2023

WW: Cedar bark harvest



(Encountered this cedar while walking along the bay a few weeks ago. The distinctive scar is symptomatic of bark collecting by local indigenous persons in search of raw material for making baskets, clothing, and other practical items. And this time, if you look closely, you'll also see that someone has sketched a rough cartoon of an aboriginal man in charcoal on the debarked surface. Perhaps a portrait of the bark-harvester himself?

I've happened upon cedars like this in remote places since I was a kid. Always gives me a certain satisfaction to know that the First Nations are still out there, still being themselves, in the face of everything.)


Appearing also on My Corner of the World.

1 comments:


  1. That is interesting. Bark harvesting.
    I think you are right. It does feel like the harvester is sharing with the spirit of the tree his own image.

    ReplyDelete