Wednesday 14 June 2023

WW: Empty egg



(For my money, the American robin [Turdus migatorius] has the most beautiful eggs in the woods, and we often find large pieces of their intensely blue shells discarded on the ground after a successful hatching. Sadly, that's not the case with this one, as something has chiseled a hole in it and sucked out the contents. Squirrel is my guess, though other suspects include crows, Steller's jays, or even rats. A greater expert than I could no doubt finger the miscreant by the size and shape of the perforation.)

Appearing also on My Corner of the World.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing egg, that was something I haven't seen before

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the direction the broken shell lays, looks like something went in rather than came out? :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly. Plus the hole's too small for a hatching; that happens out the end, and generally splits the shell in half, or very nearly.

    ReplyDelete