Wednesday 20 March 2024

WW: Spring blessing



(Pieris japonica, known here as popcorn bush, is a popular landscaping shrub on the North Pacific Coast. Native to the same latitudes on the far side of the ocean, where climate and soil types are about identical, I'm told it fills whole ravines in Japanese forests. This must be brilliant to see, given its dense sprays of sparkler-bright blossoms and heady fragrance.

The early-spring show, and the fact that we had one at every house I can remember – always right by the front door – made this a favourite flower from early childhood. It's also a good carving and turning wood, fairly soft and light but fine-grained, taking an oil finish well; properties apparently unknown outside of Asia, given the absence of mention online, at least in any of my languages.)



Appearing also on My Corner of the World.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Lilly of the valley (hope its correct)
    I visited you via My Corner of the World
    My link: 35. I hope you will join us and share your links with us at Wed-Sat at #WordlessWednesday (words welcome) https:// esmesalon. com / tag / wordlesswednesday/ See you soon at https://esmesalon.com/19-wordlesswednesday-words-welcome/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely taste of spring as I slide into winter.

    Thanks for sharing your link at My Corner of the World this week!

    ReplyDelete