Wednesday 25 September 2024

WW: Ancient oil can


(Found this all-steel imperial quart motor oil can on a recent walk along a former logging road – now in a protected natural area. Judging exact age is hard with no labelling left, but Internet-roshi says cans of this type were standard from the 20s through the 50s. All things considered, I'd guess 40s – early 50s for this one. Note the distinctive hole left by the old-school oil can spout. I threw at least one of those spouts away a few years ago, when I moved my mom out of the house she'd lived in for nearly 40 years.)

Appearing also on My Corner of the World.

5 comments:

  1. We used to burn rubbish in these drums in the 50's - out in the back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just a one imperial quart can. But I remember the drums as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photo of your hiking find. I remember the spout my dad used to open a quart oil can when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. De rigueur in the day. I well remember periodically emptying three to four quarts into my old 64 1/2 Plymouth Barracuda back in high school, using one of those opener spouts. By those days the cans were made of cardboard; only the ends were still metal. You'd find those round metal ends in the remains of slag fires.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete