Wednesday 18 September 2024

WW: Relics of childhood



(I recently captured this scene in a part of the county that was urbanised well after my own stretch of woods. It made me nostalgic. Notice the signpost pointing off the highway down a long, squirrelly dirt road, along which multiple houses are identified by number. And behind it, the old shelter where the children from those houses waited for the school bus, out of the rain.

Today young families can no longer afford to live there, and what few may stray in consider making kids walk up the road and interact with other kids abusive. Thus the state of this shelter, which seems last to have been used not long after I left for university.

By which time the signposts and shelters had long disappeared from my part of the county.)


Appearing also on My Corner of the World.

2 comments:

  1. That shelter reminds me of the shelter sheds in the school playground when I was kid. The boys would hide behind them to have a sneaky smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot of my childhood that today's children wouldn't be able to identify me, and it can make me a bit sad. My husband grew up on a short road that led to a dirt road. Today that road is paved and no one would dare walk on it due to the traffic.

    ReplyDelete